April 3, 2007
WACO, Texas - The No. 4 Baylor men's tennis team earned its second conference with a 5-2 victory over Texas A&M Tuesday at the Baylor Tennis Center. The win marks the ninth straight for the Bears and improves their record to 16-2 overall and 2-0 in conference play. The Bears had a season high attendance record as over 1200 fans "Crowded the Courts" for the match against the Aggies.
The Bears picked up the doubles point to take an early lead with two wins over the Aggies. Both Baylor pairs won 8-5 as No. 18 Matija Zgaga and David Galic downed John Nallon and Brett Joelson on court one and Lars Poerschke and Denes Lukacs defeated Matt Bain and Connor Pollock on two. Baylor's duo of Dominik Mueller and Michal Kokta fell to Bryan Wooten and Luka Ocvirk, 5-8.
Texas A&M earned the first singles point as No. 67 Jerry Makowski defeated #16 Kokta 6-0, 6-0. But Lukacs added another win for the Bears with a 6-1, 6-2 downing of Wooten, while Zgaga, ranked at the No. 124 spot, bested Joelson 6-1, 6-2. No. 93 Mueller clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Bain. Matt Brown cleaned up on court three with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Ocvirk, while Poerschke fell to Pollock in a third set tiebreaker 7-6 (5), 4-6, 10-7.
"The guys at the bottom part of the lineup did awesome, to knock out four, five, and six like that is worth a statement. It is always great to beat Texas A&M. We got a little momentum and hopefully we can build on it," said head coach Matt Knoll.
The Bears return home Tuesday, April 10 when they host a double-header against St. Edwards at 3 p.m. and Texas-Arlington at 7 p.m.
#4 Baylor 5, #29 Texas A&M 2
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 4*, 5, 3, 2
1. #67 Jerry Makowski (TAMU) def. #16 Michal Kokta (BU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Connor Pollock (TAMU) def. #13 Lars Poerschke (BU) 6-7(5), 6-4, 10-7
3. Matt Brown (BU) def. Luka Ocvirk (TAMU) 6-4, 7-5
4. #124 Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Brett Joelson (TAMU) 6-1, 6-2
5. #93 Dominik Mueller (BU) def. Matt Bain (TAMU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Denes Lukacs (BU) def. Bryan Wooten(TAMU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. #18 Zgaga/Galic (BU) def. Nallon/Joelson (TAMU) 8-5
2. Poerschke/Lukacs (BU) def. Bain/Pollock (TAMU) 8-5
3. Wooten/Ocvirk (TAMU) def. Kokta/Mueller (BU) 8-5